Military Culture, Conditions & Healthcare Resources Training
The Northern Virginia Veterans Association provides training to healthcare providers and staff in order to increase greater understanding and awareness of military culture and related health issues so healthcare providers can more effectively and efficiently diagnose, treat, and provide care and guidance for former/current service members and their families.
This question should always be asked at admissions “are you a former or current military service member?” Without knowing who your patient is, it is challenging to connect the dots of symptoms and disease potentially related to service time, deployments, and/or training environments.
Objectives of Training
- Explain military structure & culture
- Illustrate life on and off the battlefield
- Delineate common potential health related issues (PTSD, mTBI, insomnia, depression, hyper-vigilance, substance abuse, presumptive conditions)
- Describe approaches to care, support, and when to refer to the VA
- Provide VA, DoD and local resources for providers to support their veterans/families patient population
All healthcare partners receive this 2 hour training for the their staff (one time) included with annual membership. Any organization may purchase this training independent of partnering, request online above.
Training fees: Asking $1000/2 hour class donation, up to 10 individuals, $25 per person after 10. Training materials and resources are provided in electronic format.